Honorable Warriors

Honorable Warriors is one of the greatest factions of all time!!!

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

It all comes down to personal beliefs.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
KageShadowlance

It all comes down to personal beliefs. Empty
PostSubject: It all comes down to personal beliefs.   It all comes down to personal beliefs. EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 2:38 pm

Why don't you ___BLANK____, why do you ___BLANK___.

The answer is because either you believe that it is wrong, or that it is not wrong.

Ultimately everything comes down to beliefs: Gay rights, abortion, vegetarianism, alien existence, human existence, the death penalty... The list goes on and on.

One of my strongest beliefs is that the biggest problem in the world today is a lack of respect. It is there, but not as much as it should be.

Respect someone else's beliefs, their choices, there ethnicity/culture, and everything else about them.

The problem, I believe, is that we do not have set moral values for society.

What is alway wrong?

I was think that if we come up with a set list of moral values that we can agree on, and that if we respect others, than we can live peacefully.

I guess then that what will be debated here is, what is right and what is wrong?

I think we should start out with a few things that I will mention, and come up with a list of what is always wrong, and everything else would then be a personal choice that we should respect. We may still disagree with it, but from there we can disagree in the right way, a debate.

We can then turn this forum section to debates, after we set a list of truths and finite values.

First reply can start the list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strat

strat

PostSubject: common values   It all comes down to personal beliefs. EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 3:10 pm

I think the problem is not in defining common values but rather in implementing them. The "good" values are common to most cultures. I am not aware of many who disagree with the virtues of truthfulness, generosity, hard work, kindness, fairness, ...

Implementing them, however, is a different story. Selfishness, greed, bigotry all get in the way. Sometimes so blinding that we are in denial as to the wrong we do others. Injustice is the root of most evil. Look at our world all around you and you see how injustice exists at all levels: continents, countries, societies, even families.

Now this can lead to another discussion, but the main point I wanted to make was that it is a problem of implementation not of definition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shynaku
Admin
Shynaku

PostSubject: Re: It all comes down to personal beliefs.   It all comes down to personal beliefs. EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 3:12 pm

KageShadowlance
I'm having trouble figuring out what you are trying to get at. Part of me wants to call this thread ballocks, the other part just thinks it's ill-named. You begin with the idea that we should respect everyone. This may be a good idea in everyday practice; however, when you enter the debating field, the idea that everyone's ideas have to be equally respected is to the detriment of the discussion. Imagine if we respected eachother's beliefs so much that we couldn't bring up God in a debate about religion, lest we offend polytheist. Now, when a new idea is brought up, we shant dismiss it out of hand, but if it's disproved, we need not respect the idea any longer.

If you want to create a thread about morality, then you can do that; however, the claim that we have to come to a conclusion on morality before we can do anything else is naive. We will never completely agree on a moral code, so we would effectively halt all discussion after making such a decree. I'll give you a good example of where your idea will fail, too: Many base their morals on the existence of God. The only way to remove those moral codes is to disprove, God, but we have halted discussion on the subject of God until we have addressed morality.

I also think you are making a mistake by equating "belief" with "moral code". A moral code is a belief, but a belief is not a moral code. I believe that the Earth is round, but there's nothing moral about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KageShadowlance

PostSubject: Hm...   It all comes down to personal beliefs. EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 6:27 pm

I agree with what Strat about implementation, as well as what Shynaku said about belief and moral code, and moral code is a better way of putting it.

I have just always wondered what is common in many societies. As Strat said "The "good" values are common to most cultures," but I have always wondered what other people agreed on, so I can better understand others.

Shynaku, what I was trying to get at is exactly where you went. Is respect the most important thing/things? If not then what/what things are, in other peoples opinion, important. I am tying to understand people. I certainly agree with your point on respect in regards to debate, debate is to defend a side of an argument. With to much regard you can not debate.

Once again, what is a decent moral code to start with?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shynaku
Admin
Shynaku

PostSubject: Re: It all comes down to personal beliefs.   It all comes down to personal beliefs. EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 9:06 pm

I have to say that I'm still confused as to what exactly you are trying to obtain in this thread. If you want an agreed-upon list of the moral codes to follow for this forum, you won't be able to make it; I mean, we would need to have a moral code regarding debating before we can debate what things should be in our moral code regarding debating.

However, I'm starting to see the purpose of this thread as a "get to know your factionmate" thread than "let's discuss an intellectual topic" thread. I half think you're fishing for the starting points of the various people in this forum, but I think that that type of inquiry has some detriments to it. To start, the way people will most likely introduce themselves is through the groups they categorize themselves into. The detriment of this is that it then attributes stereotypical beliefs onto that person. However, if we come to know who a person is by the way they debate, and by the stances they take, then we will have a perspective of the person that is much less of a caricature. It still becomes obvious which general groups people can be fit into — it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out I'm either an agnostic or atheist — but stereotyping is at least harder when who someone is is gotten to by the way they've presented themselves.

If you want to give a very clear idea of what this thread is about, I suggest adding a detailed description of the intention — "[W]hat is a decent moral code to start with?" is not detailed enough to spark a discussion. I would also suggest changing the title of the thread if you feel it is insufficient for the current scope (this can be done by hitting the edit button of your first post, then changing the title on that post). If you want to discuss ethics in general, just retitle the thread to "Ethics" or something. Or you can try to narrow it down to a specific part of ethics (daily lives, international, prisoners, etc.). Currently, the scope is too broad, and I, for one, am reluctant to contribute in any major way, lest I turn out wrong on what you want to see in this thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It all comes down to personal beliefs.   It all comes down to personal beliefs. Empty

Back to top Go down

It all comes down to personal beliefs.
Page 1 of 1